What are people saying…
I thought this was a great course and I loved that it really was applicable to my job and running the library.
The assignments given were directly applicable to my work in my library.
In order to be an effective director or staff member, you must understand the basics of collection management and how the collection is organized. This class will give you tools to create and maintain a dynamic library collection. Assignments will provide you the opportunity to utilize assessment and weeding methods, as well develop a Collection Development Policy for your library.
- Planning and policies
- Collection assessment and collection standards
- Selection of various formats; materials for special populations
- Gifts and weeding
- Resource sharing agreements
- Methods of organization
- MARC format and understanding catalog records
- Shared catalogs
- Role of technology and networking in a shared environment
- Processing and repair
Required textbook: Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management, 4th edition, by Peggy Johnson, 2018. (ISBN: 9780838916414)