Why the iSchool’s PhD Program?
- Involvement in cutting-edge research through iSchool research hubs such as the UW-Madison Collaborative Computing Group (“Mad Collab”), the Metascience Research Lab and the Center for the History of Print and Digital Culture.
- 5 years of full funding, including tuition, stipend and health insurance
- Successful job placement: our graduates find jobs in academia, industry or information related areas (see where our graduates are employed).
- Support to conduct original research and prepare results for presentation and publication in scholarly conferences and journals
- Teaching experience, working with undergraduate and graduate students with guidance from faculty
- Career services to explore both academic and industry opportunities
This degree is designated as a STEM program. International students maintaining F-1 status are allowed to apply for up to 12 months of post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) following completion/graduation from their degree program.
Currently, this degree program is also designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as an eligible degree for the F-1 STEM OPT work authorization extension; students who secure qualifying employment may be eligible to apply for the STEM OPT extension for a cumulative total of up to 36 months of F-1 OPT work authorization.